Bolton Wanderers players are close to going FIVE MONTHS without pay and their training ground does not even have hot water for showers.
Andrew Taylor joined talkSPORT on Thursday for an update on the financial woes which have crippled the Trotters and placed them in administration.
The 32-year-old left-back, who has been acting as a representative of his team-mates, was one of the host of senior players released by the cash-strapped club at the end of last season as they were relegated to League One.
The number of men who left at the expiry of their contracts means Bolton have just SIX players remaining in the first-team squad.
And Taylor said those who remain on the books found their training ground locked when they returned for pre-season training, and while it is now open they are still without drinking water and are unable to have showers.
The defender also said players have been pushed to ‘desperation’ having been without pay for 20 weeks, with some of his team-mates defaulting on mortgage payments and being unable to support their families.
Bolton’s administrators recently confirmed they are in talks with a consortium about a possible takeover at the club.
But Taylor says the current and former squad members have been given no assurances over when they will be paid their outstanding wages – or if they will ever be paid at all.
“I’m currently out of contract at the minute, but we’re all in close conversation with each other regarding the situation and from what I’m led to believe from the few boys that have actually gone back into training, it’s not a good situation,” he told talkSPORT host Jim White.
“The training ground was locked up for the first couple of weeks, there had been no bottled water to drink, there has been no hot water for the showers and obviously we have still not received any wages and we’ve had no indication of when we will be getting any wages.
“At the end of July it will be five months they haven’t paid us any wages. As you can image, it’s a big burden on people.
“There are only six or seven lads still in contract there, so a lot of the lads from last year are now out of contract. Some have signed for other clubs, but others are still waiting, so that adds to the stress we’re all under.
“Myself and my wife have had to pull money from different places to cover ourselves. We can’t plan anything. We’re owned five months of wages but there’s no indication of when or if we will get our money.
“The administrators are not saying a great deal. The communication between the administrators to the lads has been a problem. They are obviously interested in selling the club and helping the club survive, but unfortunately that doesn’t help our situation as a group of players and staff who are fighting every week and month to survive ourselves. Everybody’s got bills to pay, mortgages and families to look after.
“It’s not an easy time. It’s tough.”
The former Trotter said he and the players were initially angry at former chairman Ken Anderson for allowing the club’s finances to ‘spiral out of control’.
But that explained that anger has now turned into ‘desperation’, and now all they hope for is positive news from the club, not only for themselves and the out-of-pocket staff, but also for the supporters.
“There are a lot of people to point the finger at,” Taylor added.
“Ultimately Ken was in charge and he was the one who let this mess spiral out of control, but I think we’ve all gone past the anger stage.
“Maybe four or five months ago we were angry at Ken Anderson, but now I think it’s more desperation. The lads do not want to point fingers and blame people, we just want a positive outcome for everybody – us players, the staff together the money. And for the fans and the club – it needs some positive news and a good outcome.”
Listen back to talkSPORT’s interview with former Bolton defender Andrew Taylor IN FULL above